Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Impulse buying

I seem to have a problem, and I'm certain that I'm not alone. Whenever I'm starting to feel that we're getting squeezed financially, I have this ridiculous habit of doing the most impulse spending. It's backwards and (I think) a little insane, but I can never seem to stop myself. In the past twelve hours I've purchased an autographed photo of my favorite Harry Potter actor and a bread maker. It's not even nine o'clock yet! In my defense, the photo was my husband's idea, trying to make up for something really dumb that he did over the weekend. But I jumped all over the opportunity.

We've got a ton of expenses coming up: major dental work I have to take care of, getting the fireplace cleaned and inspected, fuel, back to school clothing and supplies, and half the expense for our patio expansion that I owe my in-laws. There's a hospital bill hanging over our heads from a procedure that my daughter had months ago...I really have no business buying a bread maker from eBay, even if it was only $25.

Every two weeks at bill paying time, I sit at the computer lamenting over how we're going to pay them, wondering where we're going to get grocery money from this time. The stress and depression continue to build and then eventually, it all boils over and I shop. I buy books, toys for the kids, food treats, organizers for all the crap that I buy that I have no space for. It's like a sickness. I end up feeling guilty and getting more depressed and the cycle starts again.

Am I the only person who does this? And if I'm not and someone has any clue how to stop, I'd love to hear it!!

1 comment:

Gryffinitter said...

Oh, you are not alone! Years and years ago - probably 35 or so - my Dad figured out what it would cost to send the three of us kids through college. It was equivalent to one year at an Ivy League today, but represented more money than he could possibly get together before we needed it, and he panicked...so he went to the store and bought out the Rubbermaid department. Garbage cans, storage containers, Lazy Susans for the spices in my mother's cabinets, a dustpan - he left no rubbermaid rock unturned.

This clearly did not help.

However, we did all manage to get through school, and the one of us that has no master's degree just didn't want it(he's employable instead...)

I think it is actually a pretty natural reactin, which does not stop it being counter-productive...but maybe it IS time for my miraculous opus "20,000 ways to eat a lentil..."