Saturday, August 18, 2007

High School Musical 2

We were big fans of HSM, partly because the music was fun and partly because it was something we could watch with the kids without fear of our heads exploding (or theirs, like with Cars). So when HSM2 was announced, it was a cause for excitement in our house. Gus was particularly excited because it would be the first time he was allowed to stay up late to watch a movie like a big kid. It provided a great bribery tool all week.

Unfortunately, but expectedly, it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first one. It wasn't terrible, but I don't see myself humming What Time is It? anytime soon. Unlike the first installment, HSM2 didn't hold the kids' attention and they chose to go to bed halfway through.

The movie starts off on the last day of the same school year as the first movie, but already there was one continuity break that just screamed at me. Now, whether or not it was unintentional, the principals suddenly look way more polished than they did in the original movie. They just didn't look like they'd just finished their junior year to me at all. I don't mean to say that they looked bad, although I'm not in love with Zac Efron's new hair, I just had a much harder time buying them as the age they're portraying. And this is from someone who's obsessively and religiously followed the Harry Potter franchise.

The plot was pretty uninspired, but while the first half seemed to lack any realy conflict, the movie bounced back in that area by the second half. Likewise, the music in the first half, especially the first song, seemed to be trying to recapture the best of the music from the first film, but didn't quite make it. A couple of the later numbers got a bit more creative. The song I Don't Dance had some interesting elements of swing and hip-hop; Zac Efron's solo Bet On It was very reminiscent of one of my favorite scenes in West Side Story; the duet Gotta Go My Own Way nearly moved me to tears with Vanessa Hudgens belting it out and Zac 's teary eyed harmonizing.

I will say this in praise of the movie - the actors have all grown in their craft and the performances were much improved. The supporting cast was given more to do this time around and were allowed to show a more of their talents as well.

It's a likable movie. I don't know if we'll be buying the DVD - the kids may be ambivalent about it. But if they do want it, it's still good clean entertainment appropriate for a wide age range. Not what I'd call a waste of time or money. I'd give it 3 of 5 stars.

Edit: I was just informed that Gus loved the music and is already singing the songs. He's asked for the soundtrack and the DVD, so my review is pretty much irrelevant. The kid liked it.

No comments: