Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Does St. John's Wort work?

I have no idea; I'm only one person, but I think maybe it does.

Last night, my husband, an MSW, needed to do a 'test' evaluation on someone for his job. They were trying out a new assessment tool or something. So he used me as his subject. He called this morning to let me know he'd scored the test and I am apparently severely depressed.

Now, I've known this for months, and actually so has he on some level. I started taking St. John's Wort in May twice a day. It helps somewhat when I remember to take it. You've got to love irony - depression can effect your memory, so I have to remember to take my 'meds', but if I forget, my depression is worse.... If I wasn't in such a crap mood so ofter, I'd find the whole cycle mildly chuckle-worthy.

So we've determined that I should maybe up the dosage to three times a day - just because I often forget to take the pill twice a day is no reason not to aspire to take it once more. I feel somewhat better when I do take it, less good if I forget a dose, awful if I go a few days without. So I can only assume it's doing something for me.

By the way, I'm fairly certain that my mood swings are hormonal, resulting from estrogen fluctuations. So maybe if I stay on St. John's Wort for the next ten years until I go through menopause, I'll be cured! Hm... perhaps I shouldn't pursue a comedy career until that actually comes to pass.

No comments: