Saturday, May 3, 2008

On Going Green...ish

Our family has tried for a long time to be friendly to the environment, but I've been making more of an effort the past couple of weeks to do more. I'm quite proud of myself today.

We've had reusable shopping bags for ages. Unfortunately, they tend to sit in the closet because we always forget to use them. I always kept 2 in my car for those last minute jaunts to the supermarket, and sometimes I even remember to bring the into the store, but last week, I put a couple more in the car for the big shopping trips. So today when I went shopping, I was half done filling my cart when I realized that I had, once again, forgotten the bags in the car. Usually I would just leave them there and promise to do better the following week. But today I was determined! I finished my shopping, explained to the person at customer service that I had forgotten my bags in the car, and then left my full cart so I could go get the bags. I am very pleased to say that I got out of the store with only 1 plastic bag (for the meat). Yay!

I also got some environmentally friendly dryer sheets and dishwashing liquid to add to the Method products I bought two weeks ago. Method has a great tub & tile cleaner, by the way - just as good as Soft Scrub, which I also like a lot.

On the downside of my 'going green' dream, I also tried a Tom's deodorant. My armpits look like they somehow got sunburned. Aluminum-laden anti-perspirants have never given me a reaction, but the all-natural, healthy one did. If I had a dollar for every irony of my life, I wouldn't need to find a job.

No comments: