Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Saggy (pajama) Pants

Before I go any further, I should point out that I've been awake since 3:45 am, so I'm not particularly filled with sunshine and daisies this morning. I was awakened by my daughter who had kicked the covers off and was cold. But then I couldn't go back to sleep because I was cold and my pajamas were annoying me - mostly it was the pajamas.

I was very excited the other day when I went out and bought some new comfy jammies. They're quite nice - blue plaid, flannel. I was pleased. That is to say I was pleased until I put them on and discovered that they, like almost every-doggone-thing else, are low waisted. Did they have to do it to the pajama bottoms too?

Who the hell are clothing manufacturers dressing anyway? Certainly not me. I don't think I'm alone with my little bit of a gut from birthing two babies. Granted, not everyone in the world has a belly after they have kids, but I find it quite odd that in this country, which we are told has a pandemic obesity problem, there are more women with flat little model bellies than woman with more rounded ones.

I actually did some looking before I started ranting. It's damned near impossible to find pants that come to the waist anymore. They even have the nerve to advertise these waistlines as more comfortable. For whom? Are you kidding? Is it really more comfortable to have your navel hanging over your waistband and to feel like your pants are constantly falling off? Don't get me wrong, you can still get natural waisted pants, they just tend to fit and look like something my grandmother would have worn. Also, what's this nonsense about the 'natural waist'? Do they mean the natural waist of a short waisted person with long legs or the natural waist of a long waisted person with short legs? Because I'm neither, so I guess I'll just grab a fig leaf, thanks. Maybe that's the problem - it's too hard to figure out where the waist should be, so why not cut it out altogether?

I'm not even forty yet - I don't need to dress but so matronly; I'd just like to not accentuate the fact that I've put on a couple (dozen) pounds since I had my kids. And being that my hands are usually occupied, I'd prefer to not have to keep stopping to pull my pants up. Why is it so impossible to look cute AND keep your pants up AND not go bankrupt to do it?

And now it's the pajamas. The last thing anyone needs is to feel like their pants are falling off while they're trying to sleep! I thought they'd be okay and that as long as I had the drawstring tied, they'd stay put. Had I been able to sleep through the night I probably wouldn't have noticed.

For those of us who can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of jeans and tend to shop at big retailers like Walmarts and Targets, there is sad little to choose from. Would someone please tell these clothing makers to cut us some slack...and maybe another inch at the waist?

No comments: